How to Use H1, H2, H3 Tags For SEO
A post on how to optimize H1, H2, H3 heading tags in Blogger blogs for SEO. Optimizing the H1, H2 and H3 heading tags in blogger is an on page SEO technique where the header tags for blog title, post titles, and side bar widget titles are interchanged for better rankings in search engines. Each of these header tags ranging from H1 to H6 are usually used to denote categories and the level of importance given by search engines. The higher the header tag, the higher the priority, hence a tag like H3 has lesser importance to another header tag H1. Also, the H1 tag has a higher priority in search engines and by default in blogger templates, the blog title is given this tag. Since the blog title has little effect on a blog's rank in search engines when compared to the post title, editing the template and replacing the default H3 tag for post titles with H1 can help improve the blog's search engine visibility.
In blogger templates, the structure of the header tags as used for blog title, post titles and sidebar/footer widget titles is shown below.
<H2>Sidebar widget title</H2>
<H3>The post title</H3>
By altering this default structure just by replacing one header tag with the other to look like the one below, you can customize your blogger blog post title for better SEO. For the title of the sidebar widgets which have no importance in the site's SEO, replacing them with H4 tags only changes the size of the text but has no influence on the overall SEO. A good SEO practice is to use only one H1 tag while there can be several H2/H3 tags, this way, your blog's ranking does not decrease or worse get your blog penalized or de-indexed by Google.
<H4>Sidebar widget title</H4>
<H1>The post title</H1>
Also Read: How to Make Blogger Template SEO Friendly
10+ Best Blogger Tips and Tricks
How to Add Custom Robots Header Tags In Blogger
How to Optimize H1, H2, H3 Header Tags In Blogger
- From your blogger dashboard,
- Navigate to Template.
- Ensure you backup your template before proceeding.
- Click on 'Edit HTML' .
- Click inside your template, with the use of CTRL+F keys, search for this line of code
- Look closely for the h1 tag below id='header-inner' and change it to h2. (change the opening <h1> to <h2> and the closing tag </h1> to </h2> ). Here, the blog title has been changed from H1 to H2.
- Still in you Blogger template,
- Search for any of these lines of code
<h3 class='post-title entry-title' itemprop='name'>
<h3 class='post-title entry-title'>
or search for
For any of the code above which you find in your template, replace both the opening <h3> tag with <h1> and the closing </h3> tag with </h1>. After making the changes, the header tag for post titles has been set to H1.
Here, we'll change the header tags for the title of widgets on your blog's sidebar and footer.
To change the header tag for blogger sidebar widgets
- In your Blogger template, search for ='sidebar'
- Scroll down to where you have your sidebar widgets (some lines after ='sidebar')
- Replace all the title of the widgets that are on your blog's sidebar with h4. An opening <h2> tag should be replaced with <h4> and a closing </h2> tag with </h4>
To change the header tag for blogger footer widgets
- Search for ='footer' in your blogger template
- Replace all the title of the widgets that are on your blog's footer with h4. An opening <h2> tag with <h4> and a closing </h2> tag with </h4>
- Finally, save your template.
Add Read More Attribution Links to Copied Text in Blogger
Following the steps given above on how to optimize heading tags H1,H2 and H3 in blogger, you have successfully optimized your blog posts for better rankings in search engine results.