DEPARTMENT OF MATHS/STATISTICS & COMPUTER SCIENCE
UNIVERSITY OF CALABAR
FIRST SEMESTER EXAMINATION – 2012/2013 SESSION
CSC 2221 – INTRODUCTION TO COMPUTER SYSTEMS
TIME: 3HRS INSTRUCTION: ANSWER QUESTION ONE AND ANY OTHER THREE
1. (a) (i) What is the mathematical relationship between digits of a number system.
(ii) What is a compiler and what is their importance?
(ii) Describe the booting process.
(b) (i) Convert 10 Gigabyte to bits.
(ii) Divide 1000110 by 110 and 110100 by 100
(iii) Convert the following decimal numbers to binary: 3323.15 and 2882.75
(c) Use one’s and two’s complement to perform the operations: (i) 28 – 7 (ii) 110 – 25
(d) Discuss units of computer storages in the range 0 to 1050.
2. (a) Classify and explain software.
(b) Add all at once: 110111, 10111.11, 111.01, 1110, 11011.01, 0.111.
(c) Perform the following Hexadecimal arithmetic: 951ACD + 3ABC and AA989 - 1BDF
3. (a) Discuss the block representation of the computer fully.
(b) Evaluate: 134Ah divided By, 45CDh * 6h
4. (a) The following are numbers in Sign Magnitude Representation: 11101110111010, 1110101001.Produce their Hex, Octal, and decimal equivalent.
(b) Highlight the functions of different memory types in the computer system.
(c) Perform the following Quinary arithmetic: 33421+43211 and 44321 – 3344
5. (a) Convert alphanumeric number PIZZA and FIFA to decimal.
(b) Convert vigesimal numbers ICED and CCDI to decimal.
(c) Perform the following hexadecimal arithmetic: 93A40 – 8ADF and BCA0 * 9A
6. (a) Using one and two’s complement perform: 12 – 23 and 13 – 8
(b) Convert the following octal numbers to ternary: 34730 and 6400.
(c) Perform the following binary division: 1100100001/110 and 1110001 by
Also Read: Past Questions On Introduction To Basic Programming 2011/2012
Past Questions On Introduction To Computer Science CSC1101 2011/2012
BASIC Program For Sum of Numbers Using IF Then Statement
Pascal Arithmetic Program Using IF THEN statement
Pascal Program to Create and Save Records in a Textfile
Pascal program To Calculate Area of a Triangle
Pascal Program of Matrix Multiplication
Pascal Program to Read in Even Numbers Into An Array