UNIVERSITY OF CALABAR
DEPARTMENT OF MATHS/STATISTICS & COMPUTER SCIENCE
COURSE: CSC 1101 – INTRODUCTION TO COMPUTER SCIENCE
DATE: Tuesday, 24th July, 2007
INSTRUCTIONS: ANSWER ANY FOUR (4) QUESTIONS
1. (a) The decision symbol is the only symbol of a flowchart with two exit points. What are these exit points? Illustrate with an example.
(b) The history of computer cannot be complete without Charles Babbage. Justify this statement.
(c) The stored program concept of John Von Neumann is very famous. What is it all about?
2. (a) I. Using appropriate examples, differentiate between one’s (1’s) complement and two’s (2’s) complement? Also, differentiate between LSB abd MSB in binary arithmetic, using an example to support your answer.
(b) I. Clearly differentiate between a microcomputer and an embedded computer.
II. Give an area of importance each of the hexadecimal and binary number systems respectively in computer technology.
(c) What is a microprocessor? Why is it very important when discussing generations of computer development?
3. (a) Describe the components of the central processing unit (control unit and ALU). Give four examples of Input devices and two examples of output devices as part of computer hardware.
(b) What is an operating system? Give two examples of a single-user operating system, and one example of a multi-user operating system.
4. (a) What makes computers different from other devices? Give three examples of devices with embedded computers.
(b) Add 11001011 to 10111011and convert your answer to one’s (1’s) complement.
(c) With the use of one example each, differentiate between a command and a statement in BASIC.
5. (a) Explain with examples the following BASIC terms:
II. Reserved words.
(b) Write a Basic program to add four numbers, A, B, C, D and display the result.
6. (a) Describe three basic types of translators that you know?
(b) Discuss with examples a categorization of computers according to their modes of operation.
Also Read: BASIC Program For Sum of Numbers Using IF Then Statement
Pascal Arithmetic Program Using IF THEN statement
Pascal Program to Create and Save Records in a Textfile
Pascal program To Calculate Area of a Triangle
Pascal Program of Matrix Multiplication
Pascal Program to Read in Even Numbers Into An Array